Tuesday, October 19, 2010

No cuts no buts no coconuts! Long Lines and Good Food at the Grub Street Food Fest

So this isn’t really a full on post, more like a recap of some of the flavors of the day last Saturday. We did get some yummy tastes in, but I really wish someone had told me that places would already be out of food and shut down by 2pm. It would have been wise to get there around noon…not that I think I would have been able to get up much earlier…Friday night was a late one! :D

So first of all, that place was crazaaaaay! I mean did it really have to be packed into that little space? There were so many people it was almost impossible to move forward...or sideways...or backward without getting aggressive. It was really difficult to maneuver and get to the tables you wanted to be at, partially b/c some hotspots, obviously Luke's included, had long lines that spanned 3+ stations. These places were the ones that were worth it though, and there was at least a fun sense of camaraderie with the other people who were waiting on line with you…you would all chuckle together when some naïve newcomer would ask to get by so they could get to the table, to which you responded, with a smile, “Haha no sorry. The end of the line is actually wayyyy back there.” And then turn to the person behind you and say, “Sucks for them!” *chuckle chuckle chuckle*

We wanted to hit Luke’s first to ensure we had something delicious to start. The line was ridiccccculous, but luckily the team was moving pretty quickly and on the way was one of the spots I wanted to hit anyway: Cascabel. One chicken taco please. Mmm! So good. I’m usually not a fan of soft-shell tacos--I know I know, the real way is soft shells, but I really like to get some crunch in all my foods…I am a major proponent of potato chips in sandwiches, try it. SO good. (Also, you know that scene in Breakfast Club when the weird girl makes a sandwich out of bread, some cereal (possibly Cap’n Crunch) and sugar, and then bites into it and it makes this huge *crunch* sound? Yea I think I might be the only person who thought that looked REALLY appealing.) Anyway, even though I like a little crunch in my taco, these babies were really good, especially with some hot diablo sauce. In fact, before we left we stopped by again for some pork tacos…these were even better than the chicken. As we discussed in the moment, isn’t pork ALWAYS better than chicken? Yes. Which was followed up with, well unless it is really fatty or dry. (So no, not really, but also yes.)

Back to Luke’s…I decided it was finally time to try the crab roll. Oh. Em. Gee. It was really freakin’ good. I know the lobster roll is supposed to be the highlight, but the crab roll is really SO good. I definitely recommend it. I have totally been converted. Not sure I’ll ever go back. Just look at this picture--seriously, you want to click and zoom in on this thing. Look at it. Ahhhhhhhh. I just want it all the time! 

Anyway, so maybe it was not a wise choice to wait on the Luke’s line first because by the time we were done there, a lot of places were closing down! It was so depressing. Georgia’s Eastside BBQ looked like it had been closed for a while…and just as we were walking up to La Sonrisa they were taking down the sign. So we abandoned empanadas (I know…it’s really really sad…I must have said “I really wanted an empanada” and frowned like 6 times before I just accepted it) So we decided we would get on the really-slowly-moving line for a Pies ‘n Thighs chicken biscuit to round out the afternoon and leave happy. When we were about 8 people from the stand, the unthinkable happens…THIS:

They are OUT of chicken biscuits. Nooooooooooooooo. After deliberating whether to get off the line or wait to try to biscuits with cream cheese and hot pepper jelly, we decided to stay…except hot pepper jelly does not appeal to me so I just had store bought cream cheese on a cold, soggy biscuit. Disappointing. (This is when the second taco stop happened). I guess I’m just gonna have to trek down to Brooklyn to get the full Pies ‘N Thighs experience. And don’t worry, I’ll tell you alllll about it when I do.

I hope some of you were able to get out to the Food Festival, hopefully earlier than me, and try some goodies. The spots I missed are now on my list of places to go and hopefully I will get my empanada, chicken biscuit, bbq, and blondie soon enough.  

- The Wandering New Yorker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!