Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Triple Sweet Afternoon at The Chelsea Market

Ladies and gentlemen…I have found my heaven. It involves, surprise surprise, lots and lots of food. I can’t believe I didn’t know about the Chelsea Market until now. This place is amazing--and I only touched on a few of the vendors. Who knows what other deliciousness is waiting for me there?? You can be sure that this isn’t the last you’ll be hearing about it on this blog.


Chelsea spans roughly from
14th-34th, bet the Hudson and
5th ave/Bdwy; Sandwiched between
Hell's Kitchen & West Village
(click to enlarge)
The Chelsea Market is located in West Chelsea, between 9th and 10th avenues, spanning 15th to 16th street, in what used to be a part of the National Biscuit Company complex, built in the 1890s. Apparently they made some of our favorite snacks there, including Oreos, Fig Newtons, Mallomars, Barnum’s Animal Crackers, and Saltines. In 1959, National Buscuit’s main production site was in New Jersey (lame) so they sold their buildings at this site, and they changed hands until sometime in the 1990s when the ground floor was turned into the windy road of food stores and eateries that it is today. There are some really cool elements from the original building, including this faux waterfall that attracts lots of kids, coins and me. There’s more cool historical tidbits about the location on the Chelsea Market site, click here

First impressions: Walking into this place was just so exciting. It was booming with noise and other eager eaters, it was seasonally decorated with tons of fun Halloween paraphernalia (I LOVE Halloween decorations). Ignoring the Anthropologie store right near the 9th ave entrance, you walk into this cool, underground warehouse type vibe and are surrounded by a huge variety of sweet shops, markets, restaurants and more. Like I said…heaven. Basically, after this trip I made two immediate decisions: 1) On my “Important things to consider when looking for new apartment” List, I have added “Proximity to Chelsea Market” 2) I now need to start a “Important things to consider when looking for new apartment” List…so I can make sure to add stuff like this, and of course "Close to a wine store," but that’s sort of assumed. It's basically on par with functioning shower and sink. You know...the basics.

MmmmmNOPE.
So anyway, here’s how my trip to heaven came to be…I was initially drawn to the market by a Time Out NY review of the RonnyBrook Milk Bar. Let me tell you, they made this place sound great…pointing out a fab deal of $3.50 for two “freshly baked cookies” and a glass of milk. They’ve got flavored milk, milkshakes, ice cream, cookies, the works. It was really promising! So of course I asked to try this great deal, with some cold skim milk, a chocolate chip cookie and a white choc chip cookie. Doesn’t that look really good?

Well it’s not. It’s hard to say what the most disappointing part of the Milk Bar experience was because everything honestly just missed the mark. The first sign of disaster was that the milk was room temperature. Now I am super weird about milk…I need it to be really really cold, so I almost always drink it on ice. And I recognize that this is not normal. But even my normal milk-temperature-drinking companion was pretty grossed out. Needless to say, we requested a cup of ice. I’m not sure how a milk bar can get this wrong, but they definitely did. Next sign: the cookies were legitimately ice cold. When the employee told me she’d have to go into the back to get more choc chip cookies, I was hoping that meant there were some coming out of the oven, but I’m pretty sure she got it from the refridgerator. Ugh. So disappointing! So we asked if she could zap them in the microwave. She was incredibly friendly and helpful, I'll give them that, but it gets worse. The cookies had an interesting smoky taste to them--do you like smoky cookies? No. Because smokiness is not a cookie characteristic. This means they are burned. In addition to the light charring on the bottom, they seemed to be sprinkled with leftover chips of tin foil. UGH. You're not supposed to feed people tin foil. It's not like we didn't still eat the cookies...I mean they werrrre cookies after all, but it just wasn't anywhere near what we thought we'd be getting.  Maybe my experience was an anomaly and it was just because it was late-ish in the day and we got a bad batch of cookies or something, but I'm not really willing to try it again. Booooo milk bar.

Moving Forward...I was actually not planning on sampling multiple stations in the Chelsea Market, but after that disappointing first taste, I felt like I needed something else, and then having only two flavors to talk about just didn’t seem like enough, so I stopped at a third shop to round it out. And after the Milk Bar, my taste buds definitely got a lot happier!

Enter L’Arte del Gelato. The milk bar is pretty close to the 9th ave entrance so we decided to go all the way to the end of the market before landing on our next stop. It just so happened this place was the last stand and was very appealing, so we went for it. We got half dolce di latte and half vanilla bean (I know vanilla is not that exciting, but I figured if the vanilla was delicious, I could say with confidence that the rest of the flavors must be delicious as well!) This gelato was AMAZING. I can’t say it’s the best gelato in the city or anything nearly that bold only because I haven’t had much gelato in the city, or anywhere outside of my adventures in Firenze (averaging about 2.5 gelatos a day for the duration of my stay). But I can say that this gelato was damn good. Super creamy and flavorful…it definitely merits a second visit. Checkout their other locations too: Lincoln Center Plaza (in the summer months) and West Village (7th ave & Barrow st).


Onward! Our final stop was actually one of the first places we spied and I just couldn’t resist it. Eleni’s Bakery. It was so big and bright and colorful, I just couldn’t help but peer in the window. Also Eleni is a Greek name so I felt like I had to go in. Gotta support the brethren! (Or whatever the “sister” form of this word is. You get the point). Also I don't even know if Eleni is Greek...or a real person...I can't seem to find anything on her. Anyway, so it was an easy decision that this would be the third taste of the evening. The specialties appear to be sugar cookies and cupcakes, so we got one of each. To my fellow  Dukies, picture Mad Hatters cookies (my FAV Durham treat): fun, seasonally decorated simple cookies. Eleni’s was just perfect, exactly what I wanted. As for the cupcakes, she has a lot of vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with colorful buttercream frosting, red velvet, and some supercool, very appealing flavors like Oreo Madness and something (pictured over there <<<) topped with chopped walnuts, but the real star was the Pumpkin Cupcake!! IT WAS SO GOOD. Even hours later, which is actually when I ate it, the cake was super moist and, although I would have expected a cream cheese frosting, the vanilla buttercream was perfect. I usually try to stay away from buttercream because it is too sweet for me. It itches the roof of my mouth—another thing people tell me is weird, but it’s totally true! But anyway, this buttercream was really nice and fluffy and not too sweet. I’m in love. The pumpkin flavor is obviously seasonal so get out there and get your cupcake soon! Unfortunately Eleni’s only other spot is way up on 91st street and Madison, but they do take large orders online and a lot of food stores (like Dean and Deluca, Zabar’s, Amish Market, etc.) sell her goodies. I’m sure I’ll be returning to the Chelsea Market soon enough and will certainly stock up on some of her yum cupcakes and cookies. It definitely feels more like they are made with love than those mass-produced cupcakes you find all around the city. And they are actually NORMAL sized cupcakes! In the age of giant Crumbs cupcakes and an obesity epidemic, it’s nice to have a cupcake that you can actually pick up with your hands...and that also happens to be delish. You've gotta try these!

I really urge you to make your way over to the Chelsea Market and try some of these treats for yourselves (except probably the milk and cookies) and explore some of the other great vendors/restaurants they have in there. The Green Table, a sustainable/organic/farm-to-table restaurant looked nice and yum. I will definitely be giving that one a try sometime soon…maybe with some gelato or a cupcake for dessert. :D Happy drooling!

- The Wandering New Yorker

3 comments:

Thanks!