Friday, October 8, 2010

Something to do this Saturday! One Day Only Street Festival

Nigerian Independence Day Street Festival


I want to make sure to write about things that everyone can go checkout for themselves after reading, but sometimes there are cool things going on only once a year and I don’t want to tell you about it after the fact…so here’s a pre-post on one of the things I’m doing this weekend: Nigerian Independence Day Street Festival!

Flag of Nigeria
I’ll be posting some more about it after the fact, but I wanted to let you know about it now so you can enjoy it as well.

Nigerian Independence Day is on October 1st and celebrates the country’s independence from the United Kingdom in 1960. Doesn't it seem like every country has had to win their independence from the Brits at some point? Greedy! Anyway, woohoo for Nigeria!

In celebration, this Saturday October 9th, there will be a parade and street festival.  Now I’m not a big parades girl, but if you are…the parade starts at 11am and will be on 2nd ave from 54th to 44th streets. I am, however, a big street festival girl, so I will be hitting that up, at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza (what?) on 47th bet 1st and 2nd aves from 10am-6pm.  Since I am more than anything else, a big delicious-food-eating-girl, I will most likely be lingering around the “All Things Roasted” booth, where they’ll be selling some yummy Nigerian treats. Check out the flyer below (note: suya is a West African version of shish kebab. mm!).
Click to Enlarge

Of course I wouldn't let you go without some fun facts about the country (thanks to our friends at Wikipedia):
- Nigeria is located in West Africa, sharing its borders with the Republic of Benin on the west, Chad and Cameroon on the east, and Niger to the north
- Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous country in the world
- Although the official language of Nigeria is English, there are over 500 documented languages spoken throughout the country (whoa!)
- For more fun facts, checkout the Facts Page of the Organization for the Advancement of Nigerians website

Alright so you'll know where I'll be. I'm super pumped because I don't really know what to expect, but I know there's going to be tons of food and clothing for sale and lots of entertainment. Maybe some dancing? (maybe I'll just be dancing, you don't wanna miss that!). Hope to see some of you there! More photos to come post-event. 

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND

- The Wandering New Yorker 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!